2nd Race of the season - A bit less faffing!

So my 2nd race of the season was at Dorney Lake and was an F3 Events Supersprint. In the 10 years I have been doing triathlon I have never done this distance! 400m swim, 10km bike, 2.5km run.

This was also be my first open water race of the season. With my next race in two weeks time at the same venue it felt like perfect preparation to go to the race site and feel comfortable as well as having a bit of a hit out in the same water and on the same tarmac!

This is a mass start swim at 8.30am. I arrived at 7am because I do like to faff a bit! Got myself all set up in transition and then started to warm up.

Swim
Wow 13 degrees is pretty cold! I was glad when the gun went and I could get going, or not! I found it quite difficult getting my arms moving as fast as I wanted and took a while to get going. Once I felt like I was moving better I then had to fight off a couple of guys who had clearly taken the completely wrong line and were now trying to swim into me as I headed for the exit! I don't surrender my position in the swim just cos you are a guy :)
T1
Less faffing, yay! But a reminder that I need to focus whilst trying to get my wetsuit off! All in all much better
Bike
It's pancake flat at Dorney so it's Vollgas all the way! There was a pretty strong head wind for part of it but a nice tail wind too. It took me until the 2nd lap to really find my mojo but it was good to find it and have a faster 2nd lap
T2
Lesson learned from the last race and this time I got my shoes on much easier, yay!
Run
I'm still giving myself too much of a hard time for not being able to run at the pace I want to (despite only running properly now for 5 weeks) BUT I did manage to change that in this race, yay! I had to have stern words with myself about the pace and just focus on working hard and giving it 100% effort. I'm happy to say it feels much better to not beat yourself up and focus on doing the absolute best you can and try to relax and enjoy it.

Another pain free race = happy days, still things to improve on as always but I'm faffing less and making fewer mistakes so it's all going in the right direction :)

I finished 1st in my Age Group and 7th Overall.

Next race is back to Dorney Lake on 21st May for a Sprint Distance World Championship Qualifier

Comments

Popular Posts